A pedestrian is in serious condition after being hit by a vehicle in east Austin on Monday afternoon.
Details of the Austin Pedestrian Accident
CBS Austin reports the crash happened around 12:35 pm in the 1137-1149 block of Airport Boulevard. Police responded to a 9-1-1 call stating that one person was unconscious.
Paramedics transported an adult to Dell Seton Hospital with potentially serious injuries. Fortunately, the person’s injuries are not suspected to be life-threatening.
The crash remains under investigation. It is unclear what events led to the accident.
Pedestrian Safety and Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
4,852 pedestrian crashes were reported in Texas in 2020, resulting in 731 deaths and 1,211 serious injuries. Among the leading factors contributing to pedestrian crashes in Texas were:
- Pedestrians failing to yield the right-of-way to vehicles
- Driver inattention
- Drivers failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
In order to prevent pedestrian accidents, TxDOT recommends the following safety tips.
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, especially when turning
- Stop for pedestrians at crosswalks
- Be careful and cautious when passing stopped buses or other vehicles
- Avoid distractions like cell phones
- Only cross the street at intersections or crosswalks
- Look left, then right, then left again before crossing the street
- Observe and obey all traffic signs and crosswalk signals
- Walk on sidewalks. If a sidewalk is not available, walk on the left side of the road facing oncoming traffic
- When walking, put away electronic devices and keep your eyes and ears on the road
Contact an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, call Thomas J. Henry Law. Our attorneys have represented victims of car accidents and pedestrian accidents for nearly 30 years. We have the resources and experience to handle your claim with the aggression and efficiency you deserve.
Do not risk your claim to compensation. Call Thomas J. Henry Law to speak with an Austin personal injury attorney today.