Pedestrian Hit and Killed by Dallas DART Bus
A pedestrian died Thursday night after being hit by a Dallas Area Rapid Transit bus near Downtown Dallas.
Fatal DART Bus, Pedestrian Crash Under Investigation
According to FOX 4 News, the incident occurred just before midnight on the Dallas North Tollway near the Maple Avenue Bridge.
Details leading up to the fatal crash were not available, and it is currently unclear if the person was attempting to cross the street or just walking along the roadway.
The identity of the pedestrian was not released. Officials did confirm the pedestrian died at the scene.
The impact of the collision shattered the bus’s windshield, but no one on the bus was injured.
The deadly incident is being investigated by DART police.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
Thousands of pedestrians are killed in traffic collisions every year. If you are a pedestrian, there are steps you can take to keep you and those walking with you safe.
- Use sidewalks. Use sidewalks when available. If there is no sidewalk, it is recommended that you walk facing road traffic as far left as possible.
- Be visible. Wearing light colors during the day and reflective materials at night will help you stand out. Also, consider carrying a flashlight at night or in particularly dark areas.
- Stay alert. Distracted drivers are a problem for pedestrians. Keep alert and avoid clothing that may reduce your visibility. Also, do not allow yourself to be distracted by your phone. Finally, make eye contact with drivers when crossing the street to get a sense of whether they see you.
- Cross streets at intersections and marked crosswalks. Do not cross mid-block unless there is a marked crosswalk. Even then, it is best to cross at intersections where drivers must adhere to traffic lights and stop signs.
- Look both ways. Do not cross the street without checking both directions for oncoming traffic. Look left, then right, and left again. Also, check for vehicles that may be turning onto the street you are crossing.
- Do disregard parked cars. Just because a car isn’t currently in motion, that does not meet that you do not need not pay attention to it. Drivers may begin to operate their vehicle without checking for oncoming pedestrians. They may also have limited visibility if they are backing up.
Injured in a Pedestrian Accident? Call an Experienced Dallas Personal Injury Attorney
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you need to speak with an injury attorney about your legal options. Pedestrian accidents can leave victims suffering from long-term pains and complications. Victims can also be subjected to high medical bills and lost wages as they recover from their injuries. Thomas J. Henry Law can help you receive fair compensation for your damages.
Call now for your free consultation with a Dallas personal injury attorney. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assess your claim and assist you. Remember, at Thomas J. Henry Law, you do not pay us unless and until we win your case. That is our No Fee Promise.