Pedestrian in Critical Condition After Being Hit by Truck
A 35-year-old is hospitalized in critical condition after being struck by a truck in downtown San Antonio.
Details of the San Antonio Pedestrian Accident
According to KSAT, the crash occurred around 11 pm in the 1700 block of Fredericksburg Road, near the intersection of Zarzamora Street and Interstate 10.
Police say the man was attempting to cross when he was hit bay a small black truck. The driver of the truck did stop to render aid.
Police do not believe the driver was intoxicated and no charges have been filed.
The pedestrian was transported to University Hospital with critical injuries.
The identities of the driver and pedestrian have not been released. The crash remains under investigation.
Pedestrian Safety and Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
4,852 pedestrian crashes were reported in Texas in 2020, resulting in 731 deaths and 1,211 serious injuries. Among the leading factors contributing to pedestrian crashes in Texas were:
- Pedestrians failing to yield the right-of-way to vehicles
- Driver inattention
- Drivers failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
In order to prevent pedestrian accidents, TxDOT recommends the following safety tips.
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, especially when turning
- Stop for pedestrians at crosswalks
- Be careful and cautious when passing stopped buses or other vehicles
- Avoid distractions like cell phones
- Only cross the street at intersections or crosswalks
- Look left, then right, then left again before crossing the street
- Observe and obey all traffic signs and crosswalk signals
- Walk on sidewalks. If a sidewalk is not available, walk on the left side of the road facing oncoming traffic
- When walking, put away electronic devices and keep your eyes and ears on the road
Speak with an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a pedestrian accident, contact Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate representation.
For nearly 30 years, our law firm has represented victims injured in all manner of automobile accidents, including pedestrian accidents and bicycle accidents. We have the resources and experience to handle your case successfully, helping you to secure maximum compensation for your claim.
Call now for your free case consultation with a licensed pedestrian accident attorney.