Possibly Inebriated 12-Year-Old Leads Police on Chase, Crashes Car
Boy Faces Several Charges
Police noticed a vehicle swerving in the 900 block of Springdale traveling southbound. According to CBS Austin, police attempted to pull the driver over but he refused, speeding away from the police.
The 12-year-old driver crashed into another vehicle head-on in the 1700 block of Pleasant Valley Road, but was able to continue evading the police. Further down Pleasant Valley Road, the boy crashed into an electric pole and overturned the vehicle.
CBS Austin reports that the boy received treatment for minor injuries at Dell Children’s Medical Center. Police believe the boy may have been drunk at the time of the wreck. In addition, the boy may face charges for failure to stop and render aid.
Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 35,092 people died in crashes on U.S. roadways in 2015.
- This is an increase of 7.2 percent from 2014 – the largest increase in nearly 50 years.
- An estimated 2.44 million people suffered injuries in motor vehicle accidents in 2015.
- Fatal multiple-vehicle crashes increased by 11.2 percent from 2014.
- Alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities increased by 3.2 percent from 2014 to 2015.