Raymondville Man Killed in Accident Near Mathis
A man from Raymondville is dead following a single vehicle accident along Interstate 37 between Edroy and Mathis.
About the Mathis Auto Accident
According to KIII-TV, 65-year-old Apolinar was traveling north along I-37 around 12:30 pm Sunday when he lost control of his vehicle, causing it roll three times.
State troopers stated the medical problems may have contributed to the crash. Charlie Ramires with the Department of Safety told reporters that Apolinar was a diabetic and may have been confused.
According to reports, Apolinar had called the family that he was scheduled to meet with in the Calallen area and informed them that he was feeling disoriented.
Authorities said that Apolinar was the only person inside the truck. He is believed to have been wearing a seatbelt.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- In 2012, TxDOT recorded 3,399 traffic related deaths on Texas roadways. This marks a 10.82 percent increase from 2011 when 3,067 deaths were recorded.
- An additional 230,506 people were injured in auto accidents in 2012 – up from 212,637 in 2011. 87,087 people sustained serious injuries in 2012.
- Single vehicle accidents accounted for 1,315 deaths in 2012, and 55.7 percent of Texas’ traffic fatalities occurred in rural areas.
- In total:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident in 2 hours and 35 minutes
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 seconds
- One reportable crash occurred every 75 seconds
Do you really want to end conversation?