Rizo-López Queso Fresco & Cotija Cheese Recalled Nationwide for Listeria Contamination
According to USA Today, consumers across the nation are urged to check their refrigerators and freezers immediately for several Rizo-López Foods dairy products, including Queso Fresco and Cotija Cheese, due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
- Approximately 4 dozen dairy products, including cheese, crema, yogurt, and sour cream.
- Brand names include 365 Whole Foods Market, Don Francisco, Tio Francisco, Rio Grande, Food City, and others.
- Products were also sold at deli counters in stores like El Super, Cardenas Market, Northgate Gonzalez, and more.
Why the Recall
- Testing by the Hawaii State Department of Health found a sample of Rizo Bros Aged Cotija positive for Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that can cause serious illness, especially for pregnant women, young children, and those with weakened immune systems.
- This investigation builds upon previous outbreaks linked to Rizo-López Foods products in 2021 and 2017, dating back to 2014.
- As of February 6, 2024, the CDC reports 26 illnesses, 2 deaths, and 23 hospitalizations across 11 states associated with this outbreak.
What to Do Next
- Immediately check your refrigerator and freezer for any recalled Rizo-López Foods products.
- Do not consume the recalled products. Throw them away in a sealed container or return them to the store where you purchased them for a full refund.
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect any surfaces that may have come into contact with the recalled products.
- If you have consumed any recalled products and are experiencing symptoms of Listeria infection, such as fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, nausea, or diarrhea, seek medical attention immediately.
- For more information about the recall, including a complete list of affected products and store locations, visit the FDA website.
- You can also contact Rizo-López Foods directly at 1-833-296-2233 for questions or concerns.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury or illness due to a defective or dangerous product, contact Thomas J. Henry Law. Over two decades of experience handling a multitude of defective product cases and extensive legal and financial resources allow us to provide our clients with truly dynamic legal representation. Thomas J. Henry Law has a proven track record of achieving real results for clients devastated by recalled products.
Let our recall lawyers help you recover the compensation you are entitled to. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and Austin serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Contact our attorneys today for a free case review.