New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are among the most dangerous days of the year when it comes to drunk driving. According to the National Safety Council, it is estimated that more than 150 people die in traffic accidents during the New Year’s holiday period every year.
The truth is that all drunk driving accidents are preventable. Considering the number of safe and cost-efficient options currently available, it is now easier than ever to obtain a safe ride home on New Year’s Eve. While COVID-19 is preventing some businesses from offering free and discounted rides, here are some other cheap options that will help ensure you and your friends, family, and loved ones will be safe should you and they choose to drink this evening.
Lyft and Uber
Both Lyft and Uber typically run discounts for first time riders and offer regular electronic coupons to promote their business. Below are a few being reported by RetailMeNot, Uber Promo, and other sources. Please be advised, the following codes may be discontinued at any time! Still, it may be worth a try.
- $5 off your next ride: erikn2387ue
- $30 off next 3 rides: yanb871ui
- $25 off (up to $2.50 for first 10 rides): NEWRIDER25
- NEWRIDER15: $5 off each of your first 3 trips
- NEWRIDER16: $4 off each of your first 4 trips
- NEWRIDER18: $3 off each of your first 6 trips
- COREY56953: 50% off next two rides
- COURTNEY74658: Up to 60% off (some reports have riders getting just got $2.50 off)
- A $10 Lyft credit is available for people in Harris County, Texas. Sign up here by scanning the QR code, as codes are limited to 3,000.
Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that even without these discounts, paying for a rideshare is much cheaper than the cost of an accident or drunk driving ticket. To illustrate, the average Uber ride in 2019 was around $13.90. By comparison, the average cost for a DUI is closer to $10,000-$12,000.
The ridesharing company Lexna has partnered with Mother’s Against Drunk Driving (MADD) for the second consecutive year to offer free rides in cities across the U.S. Eligible Texas cities include:
- El Paso
- San Antonio
For a free ride, potential drunk drivers are urged to call (800) 395-3962.
Green-N-Go Cabs and Yellow Cab
Green-N-Go Cabs and Yellow Cab in Corpus Christi are teaming up to offer free rides home to anyone in need this New Year’s Eve. Those in need of a ride can call 361-299-9999 or text the same number with their name and location. Free rides will be available from 9 pm December 31st until 3 am January 1st.
This is always the best go-to if you are planning to drink on New Year’s Eve. Having a non-drinking friend available to shuttle those looking to partake in alcohol is probably the simplest and safest bet for New Year’s Eve.
If you are fortunate enough to have a friend commit to being a designated driver, be sure to treat them right. While technically free, consider partnering up with your friends to treat your designated driver to dinner and/or a small gift as a token of appreciation. Show them you care about them just as much as they clearly care about you.
Other Tips to Follow If You Plan on Drinking This New Year’s Eve
If you drink or host a party this New Year’s Eve, remember the following:
- Designate non-drinking drivers who can get everyone home safely.
- Do not serve alcohol to anyone under the age 21.
- Call a friend or family member for a ride home if you have been drinking.
- Never ride in a vehicle driven by a person who has been drinking alcohol.
- Save a cab company number or ride share app to your mobile device before heading out.
- If you are hosting a party, offer a variety of non-alcoholic beverages and treats for designated drivers. Also, consider offering gifts to guests who volunteer to be designated drivers.
- Have a back-up plan to spend the night at the party if necessary.
- Take care keys away from friends or relatives who have had too much to drink.
Contact an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.