San Antonio Man Charged with Intoxication Manslaughter for Newborn Baby’s Death
Charges have been upgraded in a crash that has killed a newborn baby and left a woman and her 2-year-old child injured.
Details of the Fatal San Antonio Crash
KSAT reports the crash occurred on San Antonio’s West Side Friday nights.
Police say the suspect, 23-year-old Gerardo Lozano, ran a stop sign at the intersection of 38th Street and Amires Place, slamming into a pickup. The force of the initial impact sent the truck across the intersection and into a retaining wall.
A pregnant woman and her 2-year-old child were rushed to the hospital. It was determined that the woman had suffered a placental abruption, and her baby was delivered at 25 weeks. The baby remained on breathing support for two days but died.
Lozano now faces one count of intoxication manslaughter and two counts of intoxication assault.
2019 Texas Drunk Driving Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,623 people were killed in car accidents in Texas in 2019, a .09% decrease from 2018.
- 735 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 914 people were killed in crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 256,797 people were injured in car crashes in Texas with 15,855 people suffering serious injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2019:
- 1 person was killed in a crash in Texas every 2 hours 25 minutes.
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes 3 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 56 seconds.
Have You Lost a Loved One to Drunk Driving? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
Losing a loved one to an accident is always tragic. When that crash is the result of preventable behavior like drunk driving, it is absolutely enraging. If you have lost a loved one to a drunk driver, you and your family deserve justice. Thomas J. Henry Law will fight to ensure the driver responsible for your loved one’s death is held accountable for their reckless behavior.
We have licensed wrongful death attorneys in San Antonio ready to take immediate action on your case. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends, and will build your claim so that your family is eligible to receive all the damages they are entitled to. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you pay us nothing unless and until we win your case. Do not wait. Call now.