San Marcos Police Continue Search for Box Truck, Driver Involved in Fatal Hit-and-Run
Police in San Marcos are still searching for the vehicle and driver involved in a fatal hit-and-run earlier this month. The crash claimed the life of a 19-year-old Texas State University student.
Details of the Fatal San Marcos Crash
According to KENS 5, the fatal crash occurred around 2 a.m. on January 3rd after Iliana Velez, 19, left work at an Amazon facility.
As Velez traveled down Interstate 35, her vehicle was struck by a box truck near Wonder World Driver. The impact of the collision caused Velez’s vehicle to roll over several times. Velez was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the box truck fled the scene, and police are still working to locate the hit-and-run driver or the box truck that was involved in the crash. As part of their effort, the San Marcos Police Department released snapshots of surveillance footage that captured the truck involved.
The crash is being investigated as an Accident Involving Death which is a felony offense.
Anyone with information on the crash or identity of the driver that fled the scene is urged to contact Sgt. Myers with the San Marcos Police Department at email@example.com.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Speak with an Experienced San Antonio Attorney
If you or a loved one is involved in a crash with a hit-and-run driver in or around San Antonio, you need to take immediate action to protect your rights. Call Thomas J. Henry Law and let our San Antonio car accident attorneys take immediate action on your case.
We have represented clients across Texas for nearly 30 years and helped thousands of injured people receive fair compensation for damages suffered in car accidents. Our attorneys are standing by 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you with your case. Call now for your free case consultation.