Scooter Driver Killed in Central Austin Crash
A scooter rider was pronounced dead early Saturday morning following a crash in central Austin.
Details of the Fatal Austin Scooter Accident
According to KXAN, the crash occurred around 2:51 am at the intersection of Enfield Road and Newfield Lane. Details of how the accident occurred were not immediately available, but police did identify the victim as a man in his 30s.
Responders implemented life-saving measures after arriving at the scene, but the driver of the scooter was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver involved did remain at the scene. They did not require EMS treatment.
Tips to Increase Scooter Safety
- Wear a Helmet – Head traumas such as brain bleeds and concussions make up 45% of all reported injuries incurred from scooter accidents, according to the CDC. Many of these injuries happen because riders fail to wear a helmet.
- Don’t Drink and Scoot – Alcohol slows reflexes and impairs judgment. Riding a scooter after you have been drinking is as dangerous as driving, and you can still get a DUI.
- Ride Solo – Riding with a passenger is dangerous to both of you. The extra weight can make the scooter unbalanced and harder to control. Most scooters have a weight limit of around 220 pounds.
- Pay Attention – In a CDC study, 10% of injured riders collided with a car, another 10% hit a curb, and 7% ran into an inanimate object, like a light pole. Stay focused on where you are going, and never use your phone while riding.
- Follow the Rules – Scooter regulations vary in each city. It’s up to you to learn and obey the rules. Remember to wear reflective clothing and to use hand signals.
- Check Scooter for Defects – A visual inspection and brake test before you begin riding can protect you from malfunctions and glitches on the road. If you detect issues, contact customer service and get another scooter.
Contact an Experienced Electric Scooter Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in an electric scooter accident, call Thomas J. Henry today. Our Austin personal injury lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends to hear your claim.
Scooter accidents can cause great physical and financial harm to an individual and their family. We can help you address medical bills and living costs, letting you focus on healing while we take care of the ongoing legal processes. It is our goal to ensure our clients are taken care of while our injury attorneys fight relentlessly to obtain the real result you need.