Student Dead, Others Injured in Georgia School Bus Crash
About the Tragic Bus Accident
15-year-old Rebecca Hall was fatally injured on Monday when the Freightliner carrying an oversized load slammed into the rear driver’s side of the school bus. The collision occurred in the southbound lanes of Interstate 75 near exit 16.
The ambulance transported 13 children to South Georgia Medical Center in Lowndes County. Six other children were transported to the hospital in private vehicles.
The driver of the school bus, Aline Thomas, 62, sustained a leg injury while the driver of the tractor-trailer, 58-year-old Michael Scarpaci, was not injured.
The incident remains under investigation and a toxicology report is pending.
Trucking Accident Statistics
- The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,903 people were killed in trucking accidents in 2014 – a slight decrease from the 3,981 deaths recorded in 2013.
- Of those killed in 2014:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- An additional 111,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2014.