Woolard Was Fleeing Police When Fatal Crash Occurred
According to KSAT, Woolard is charged with murder for causing a fatal wrong-way crash as he was attempting to evade arrest.
Reports show the crash occurred around 9:45 p.m. on Sunday, May 3. As officers were chasing his vehicle vehicle in close pursuit, Woolard drove head-on into oncoming traffic and ultimately collided with another vehicle on the northbound ramp near Loop 410 and Interstate 35.
The collision resulted in the death of Asante Sebastian Contreras. He was killed instantly.
Woolard was transported to a hospital with injuries. In addition to murder, Woolard is charged with evading authority and possession of firearm.
Woolard was previously accused of attempted capital murder of an officer after participating in a shootout and was described by authorities as a dangerous career criminal. Amongt Woolard’s various criminal charges were driving while intoxicated, assault, and possession of illegal substances
2018 Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Facts
Information taken from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- In 2018 there were 701 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 548 people killed in head-on crashes in 2018.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2018.
- There were no crashes that resulted in 6 or more fatalities in 2018.
- Sunday, November 11th was the deadliest day in 2018 with twenty-five (25) persons killed in traffic crashes. October was the deadliest month with 332 persons killed.
- Of all persons killed in vehicles where restraint usage was applicable and usage was known in 2018, 43.06% were reported as not restrained when the fatal crash occurred.
- 249,241 persons were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2018.
- Based on reportable crashes in 2018:
- 1 person was killed every 2 hours 25 minutes
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes 7 seconds
- 1 reportable crash occurred every 58 seconds
Contact an Experienced Austin Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.