Three people are dead following a fatal crash involving two motorcycles and a pickup in Comal County around Canyon Lake.
Details of the Fatal Canyon Lake Crash
According to the New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung, the crash occurred as two motorcyclists were traveling together along Farm-to-Market Road 306. One of the motorcyclists lost control and struck a tree while the other was struck head-on by an oncoming pickup.
Both motorcyclists and a passenger in the truck were killed in the crash. The driver of the pickup was injured.
The motorcyclists were identified as Jacob Daniel Morris, 27, and Hector Juan Gonzales, 29. The driver of the truck was identified as Frank Thomas Leggett, 62, and DeEtta Kay Haynie, 68.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,531 people were killed in traffic collisions in Texas in 2015, marking little change from the 3,536 deaths recorded in 2014.
- Motorcyclists (passengers and operators) accounted for 459 of the fatalities recorded in 2015.
- Of the 459 motorcyclists killed, roughly 52 percent were not wearing a helmet at the time of their collision.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in traffic accidents in Texas in 2015.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
For the most part, motorcycle accidents have the same causes as traditional traffic accidents. They tend to occur in the same places, such as busy intersections and are often the result of negligence, inattentiveness, and lapses in judgment.
The top contributing factors for multiple-vehicle motorcycle accidents at intersections include:
- Failure to yield right of way
- Failure to control the speed
- Driver inattention
- Driver distraction
- Drunk driving
- Disregarding stop signs or stop light
Additional risks may be associated with inclement weather or mechanical issues and defects.
Injured in a Motorcycle Accident? Contact a Thomas J. Henry Law
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Austin or a surrounding community, call Thomas J. Henry Law. Our Austin motorcycle accident attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you with your claim.
Our Austin Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221(attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address:4401 West Gate Blvd Suite 200, Austin, TX 78745 (walk-in Monday through Friday)