Unclear if Distracted Driving, Alcohol Played Role in Crash
Kindle Brewer, 20, the driver of the SUV, lost control shortly after passing in a no-passing zone on FM 2449. According to police, Brewer slid the SUV off the road, rolling the vehicle and striking a tree before coming to rest. The Denton Record-Chronicle reports that all three occupants were trapped due to the roof being crushed in by the impact with the tree.
Thomas Lupercio, 27, and Hannah Davis, 20, were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. Brewer was transported to a hospital in Denton and was pronounced dead later that night.
According to the Denton Record-Chronicle, authorities on the scene had to cut open the SUV’s roof to access the trapped occupants.
The accident occurred around 8:30 p.m. east of C Wolfe Road. According to Denton police, their department has recorded 16 fatalities from vehicle crashes so far this year. Last year, they recorded 13 fatalities total.
Motor Vehicle Traffic Crashes Statistics
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- In 2014, 32,675 people lost their life in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- An estimated 2.34 million people were injured.
- Over the past 10 years, there has been a reduction of nearly 25 percent in the number of fatalities on the Nation’s roadways.
- Fatalities in rural crashes decreased by 5.8 percent from 2013 to 2014.
- 16,710 people were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in rural areas in 2014.
- Passenger vehicle occupants killed in single-vehicle rollovers decreased by 4.0 percent from 2013 to 2014.