Trucker Arrested After Deadly Louisiana Crash
Louisiana State Police have arrested a tractor-trailer driver who attempted to flee the scene of a two-vehicle accident on Friday.
Details of the Fatal 18-Wheeler Crash
According to WDSU, Brandon Bonvillain, 27, attempted to flee the scene of a head-on collision early Friday morning.
The crash occurred around 7 am when Bonvillain drifted across the center line on the Leeville Bridge section of LA-1. His 18-wheeler collided head-on with a passenger vehicle resulting in the death of Kenneth Ancar, 69.
Bonvillain was apprehended by a Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s deputy and has been charged with vehicular homicide, hit-and-run involving a fatality, and driving left of center. He also displayed signs of impairment.
Toxicology results are pending.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,903 people were killed in trucking accidents in 2014, marking a slight decrease from the 3,981 deaths recorded in 2013.
- Of those killed in 2014:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and pedalcyclists
- An additional 111,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2014.
- Louisiana was the site of 80 trucking fatalities in 2014.