Two Dead, One Injured in Two-vehicle Collision in Nacogdoches
Details of the Fatal Collision
The two victims traveled north on FM 2863 near Loop 224 at around 3:30 p.m. when the accident occurred. The driver, 26-year-old Erika Castrejon, lost control of her vehicle after speeding around a curve in the road.
Castrejon crossed the center dividing line and collided with another car traveling southbound on FM 2863, reports KTRE. Castrejon and the passenger in her car, 24-year-old Eric Saldana, died at the scene of the wreck. Both of the deceased lived in Nacogdoches.
The driver of the second vehicle sustained critical injuries and required an airlift to Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital, according to KTRE. The crash is currently under investigation.
Motor Vehicle Traffic Accidents
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- 35,092 people died in motor vehicle wrecks on U.S. roadways in 2015.
- This is an increase of 7.2 percent from 2014 – the largest increase in nearly 50 years.
- An estimated 2.44 million people suffered injuries in motor vehicle accidents in 2015.
- 105,000 more people sustained injuries in crashes in 2015 compared to 2014.
- Fatal multiple-vehicle crashes increased by 11.2 percent from 2014.