Police are investigating a fatal crash in Mesquite, Texas which left a woman and her young child dead on Monday night.
Victims Struck After Surviving Initial Crash
FOX 4 News reports Jennifer Young, 30, was driving a BMW when she was involved in a crash with another car. Her vehicle stalled on the road.
Young was able to get out of the car and removed her 3-year-old son from his seat, but both were struck by a third vehicle while crossing to the inside lane of traffic. Police suspect the driver of the third vehicle saw Young’s stalled SUV and swerved to avoid it.
Both Young and her son were declared dead at the scene.
An 18-wheeler then collided with vehicles at the scene.
The crash remains under investigation.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Injured in a Dallas Crash? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you have been injured in a crash in Dallas or a surrounding area, call Thomas J. Henry Law immediately. For nearly 30 years, Thomas J. Henry Law has helped injured victims across Texas recover fair compensation. We can take immediate action on your case, allowing you to focus on your health and getting better.
Do not wait. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for your FREE CONSULTATION with an experienced Dallas car accident attorney.