A motorcyclist was killed Wednesday night after being struck by a hit-and-run driver on O’Connor Road. She was struck after being involved in a separate collision just a few moments prior.
Details of the Fatal San Antonio Hit-and-Run
KSAT reports the fatal crash occurred around 10 p.m. Wednesday in the 12100 block of O’Connor Road, near Interstate 35 and Wurzbach Parkway.
Police say the woman, identified as 31-year-old Emerald Madl, was riding a motorcycle northbound on O’Connor Road when a Ford Ranger failed to yield the right of way and turned in front of Madl from Old O’Connor Road. The pickup hit Madl, throwing her from her motorcycle.
Madl got up and was standing near the driver-side of the Ford Ranger, attempting to regain her composure, when a red two-door pickup struck her, fatally wounding her.
The driver of the Ranger remained on the scene and attempted to help Madl, but emergency crews declared her dead shortly after arriving.
The red two-door pickup did not stop and fled the scene. Police are now searching for the driver.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The following information regarding motorcycle accidents is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 5,172 motorcyclists were killed in motorcycle traffic crashes in 2018.
- An additional 89,000 motorcyclists are estimated to have sustained injures in motorcycle accidents in 2019.
- Although motorcycles accounted for a mere three percent of all registered vehicles in the United States in 2017, motorcyclist fatalities accounted for 14 percent of all traffic crash deaths and 17 percent of all occupant fatalities.
- In 2017, one-third of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding.
- Florida lead the nation in motorcyclist fatalities (550) followed by California (515) and Texas (460).
Speak with an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle accident, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. Motorcycle accidents can result in catastrophic injuries, leaving victims with long-term pain and complications. Thomas J. Henry Law can help you secure the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
Our San Antonio motorcycle accident attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you. If you cannot travel to our offices, we can send an attorney directly to you. Call now.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191(attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address:5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249