Woman Killed in Ambulance Crash
Details of the San Antonio Ambulance Crash
According to the San Antonio Express News, 72-year-old Jessie Lucear died Friday shortly before 11 am after the ambulance she was being transported in was t-boned by another vehicle.
Police say the collision occurred after Helen Madigan, 59, failed to stop at a red light at the intersection of North Loop 1604 West and Shaenfield Road.
Police are still determining what role the collision had in the death of Lucear and do not believe alcohol was a factor in the crash.
Madigan was rushed to University Hospital where she listed in critical condition; she was not wearing a seatbelt when the crash occurred.
National Auto Accident Statistics
Following information provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 33,561 people were killed in traffic accidents in 2012 – a 3.3 percent increase over 2011 when 32,479 traffic related deaths were recorded.
- An additional 2,362,000 people were injured in auto accidents, marking a 6.5 percent increase over 2011.
- Of those killed in U.S. auto accidents:
- 21,667 were occupants of passenger vehicles
- 4,957 were motorcyclists
- 4,743 were pedestrians
- 726 were pedalcyclists
- 697 were occupants of large trucks
- 223 fatalities were listed as other or unknown