Woman Riding Moped Killed in Austin Bus Accident
A 22-year-old woman was killed in Austin Monday evening when her moped collided with a privately-owned school bus.
Details of Fatal Austin Accident
According to KXAN, the accident occurred in the 4500 block of Manor Road near Lovell Drive around 7:20 pm.
Police said the school bus was being used as a personal vehicle and that the driver remained at the scene following the crash. The rider of the moped was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators said the road was slick but did not confirm if that was a factor in the crash. The identity of the woman and additional details on the cause of the accident were not immediately available.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) recorded 3,531 traffic fatalities in 2015. This marked little change from the 3,536 deaths reported in 2014.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2015 with 17,011 people suffering serious injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2015, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 61 seconds.