Who is Responsible When a Company Vehicle Accident Occurs?
Employees are agents of the companies they work for when they are on the job, which is especially true when they are responsible for operating a company-owned vehicle while sharing the roadways with other drivers. Therefore, companies can be held accountable for their employees’ actions. Employees that are guilty of negligent driving practices can be responsible, while the company can be at fault for negligent supervision, negligent hiring practices, lack of proper licensing or certification, failure to properly train employees, failure to complete proper vehicle inspections, and more.
What Are Common Causes of Company Vehicle Accidents?
A commercial or company vehicle is any vehicle that is owned and operated by a company and used by employees or agents of that company to carry work equipment, haul goods, or transport passengers. They may also be used for work-related employee transportation. The following list has been cited by OSHA as the most common causes of commercial vehicle crashes:
- Failure to use seat belt
- Distracted driving
- Alcohol & drug-impaired driving
- Fatigued driving
- Aggressive driving
- Employing young drivers
Commercial Vehicle Accident Statistics
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has reported the following from 2016 commercial motor vehicle crashes:
- At least 39% of large truck occupants killed in crashes were not wearing a seatbelt
- Speed was a factor in 17% of truck crashes with at least one large truck occupant fatality
- 61% of fatal crashes involving a large truck occurred in rural areas
- 27% of fatal crashes in work zones involved a large truck
- 6% involved large truck driver distraction as a factor, of which 16% was related to cell phone use
Contact Thomas J. Henry Law to Speak with a Houston Injury Attorney
Have you been injured in a company vehicle accident? Our Houston company vehicle lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends to evaluate your case. It is important to retain an attorney as soon as you can following a crash with a commercial vehicle. Our firm will take immediate action on your case and ensure that evidence pertaining to your case is protected.
Our Houston Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: (713) 581-8623 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5444 Westheimer Rd #1000, Houston, Texas 77056 (walk-in Monday through Friday)