About the North Side Prue Road Wreck
Police say Duran’s reckless driving led to the death of 18-year-old Dominique Otra on the North Side at around 1 a.m Sunday, November 15.
The two vehicles involved were a Dodge Challenger and a Ford Mustang. Duran, operating the Challenger, was driving erratically and attempted to drive alongside Otra’s Mustang on Prue Road and entered oncoming lanes of traffic. Duran then attempted to swerve back into the correct lane of traffic to avoid an approaching vehicle and sideswiped Otra’s mustang.
The impact of the initial collision cause Otra control of her vehicle and crash into a pole. Otra was ejected from her vehicle and became trapped under her overturned Mustang. The 18-year-old died shortly after.
Bexar County Jail has records indicating that Duran has been placed on bond now. It is currently unknown if Duran was the one driving the Challenger, according to authorities.
Information About Car Crashes in the State of Texas
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- In 2017, more than 3,500 people were killed and more 17,500 people sustained serious injuries in vehicle crashes in Texas.
- In 2017, twenty-eight percent of crash-related fatalities in Texas involved a driver under the influence of alcohol.
- Forty percent of of people killed in restraint-equipped vehicles in Texas in 2017 were not restrained at the time of the crash.
- There were 57 total pedalcyclist fatalities in 2017 in the state of Texas.
What to Do If You’re Hit By a Drunk Driver
- Contact the police and call for an ambulance, if necessary.
- Call an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer as soon as possible (Our team of attorneys is available 24/7, nights and weekends).
- Try to preserve any and all necessary evidence (witness contact info, photos, etc.)
- Cooperate with police, but do not make assumptions or estimations about the accident and especially do not accept blame or fault.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Drunk Driving Lawyer
While your insurance company may be more than willing to help you after your automobile accident, you should remember that although insurance companies will provide some type of financial support, they may not always give you what you deserve. There are many times when a drunk driver has no insurance and you, the victim, are left without a way to pay for your injuries. Even if the negligent driver does have insurance, you may not get enough money to pay for your medical treatment and other expenses.
Our experienced team of San Antonio car accident attorneys will make sure you get the compensation you deserve for the injuries you incurred. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to provide you with a free case review. Contact Thomas J. Henry today if you were injured by a drunk driver. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide.