A man and woman are dead after the car they were passengers in crashed into a building in Central Austin. The driver of the vehicle is now being charged for their deaths.
Details of the Fatal Austin Accident
According to KXAN, Travel Douglass, 37, and Audrey Petty, 34, were killed last Thursday, September 23, after a crash slammed into a building in the 4100 block of Medical Parkway, near West 42nd Street.
The driver, Tristen Reyna, 24, has been charged with two counts of intoxication manslaughter. He is currently hospitalized after suffering life-threatening injuries in the crash.
Police say Reyna was traveling southbound on Medical Parkway when he went off the roadway and crashed into a building.
The accident remains under investigation. Anyone with information on the crash is urged to call the Highway Investigation Tip Line at (512) 974-8111.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured by a Drunk Driver? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one was involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, call Thomas J. Henry Law. Drunk driving accidents can leave victims with serious injuries and medical bills. You do not need to face the results of your accident alone.
Call Thomas J. Henry Law to speak with an experienced Austin drunk driving car accident lawyer. Our attorneys are available 24/7 to assist you with your claim.