Three people were rushed to the hospital early Sunday morning following a head-con crash on the far West Side of San Antonio.
Details of the San Antonio Head-On Crash
According to KSAT, the crash occurred just before 2:30 a.m. Sunday on Old Grissom Road when Mercury Mountaineer traveling westbound crossed over the center line and collided head-on with a Fiat.
Upon arriving to the scene, responders found the drivers of the Mountaineer and Fiat unresponsive. Both were hospitalized in critical condition. The passenger of the Fiat was also hospitalized in serious condition.
Police suspect the driver of the Mountaineer may have been under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident. He is facing a charge of intoxication assault.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and take appropriate evasive action.
- Removed your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Texas Car Accident Statistics for 2019
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,610 people were killed in car accidents in Texas in 2019, marking a 1.15% decrease from the 3,652 deaths reported in 2018.
- 731 traffic deaths were related to crashes occurring at or near an intersection.
- 600 people were killed in head-on collisions.
- Another 256,338 people were injured in car accidents in Texas with 12,897 suffering serious injuries.
Injured in a Crash? Contact an Experienced San Antonio Auto Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? We have car accident lawyers in San Antonio who are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Our law firm is among the most respected personal injury firms in San Antonio and is the largest personal injury plaintiff’s firm in Texas. Expertise has named Thomas J. Henry is one of the Best Car Accident Lawyers in San Antonio.
Remember, you do not have to face your accident and injuries alone. We are here to help you during your time of need. Let our attorneys deal with the insurers and your claim so you can focus on what’s really important: getting better.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249