Austin Sees Record High Fatal Crashes for Second Year in a Row
For the second consecutive year, Austin has seen a record high of fatal traffic fatalities with 122 deaths confirmed in 2022.
Traffic Fatalities in Austin Continue to Rise
According to KVUE, the Austin police department recorded 122 traffic-related deaths in 2022, marking a new record high over the 120 deaths reported in 2021.
This problematic milestone also marks the highest number of traffic deaths recorded in Austin in nearly 40 years.
Pedestrian deaths accounted for around 41% of the traffic fatalities recorded, with 50 pedestrians being killed in 2022. That is up from 45 pedestrian deaths in 2021.
When asked about factors that could be leading the fatal trend, Austin Police Department Lt. William White pointed to speeding as a primary concern. He also noted that a shortage of officers has hampered the department’s ability to enforce important traffic laws like those applying to speeding and drunk driving.
Speaking to KVUE, Payton Bowyer, a trauma injury prevention coordinator at St. David’s South Austin Medical Center, urged drivers to remain vigilant and not rely solely on the safety features that are equipped in their vehicles.
Bowyer noted that while the safety features are an excellent tool, “it’s really important to not use your safety features as a crutch.”
How Can We Help Lower Traffic Fatalities in Austin?
As drivers, it is all of our responsibility to do our best to ensure our own safety and that of others on the road.
Here are ten quick tips you can take to help reduce traffic deaths in Texas:
- Always wear your seatbelt and ensure that all passengers in your vehicle do the same.
- Avoid distractions while driving, such as using your phone, eating, or adjusting the radio.
- Follow posted speed limits and adjust your speed based on road and weather conditions.
- Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles on the road and avoid tailgating.
- Obey traffic signals, road signs, and lane markings.
- Use your turn signals when changing lanes or turning.
- Keep your vehicle properly maintained, including regular maintenance checks, and tire rotations.
- Stay focused on the road and avoid getting caught up in road rage incidents.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and be prepared to react quickly to unexpected situations.
Following these simple safety tips can help you avoid accidents and ensure that you arrive safely at your destination.
Injured in an Austin Car Crash? Contact Thomas J. Henry
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries in a car accident, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced Austin auto accident attorney. Our team of skilled lawyers is available 24/7 to provide you with a free consultation and assist you in navigating the legal process.
Thomas J. Henry has a proven track record of obtaining favorable outcomes for clients with severe and debilitating car accident injuries. In fact, they were recognized as one of the Best Car Accident Lawyers in Austin by Expertise in 2021.
Our attorneys will handle the legal aspects of your case and negotiate with insurance companies, allowing you to focus on your recovery. To speak with an attorney, call us today, or fill out the contact form on this page and we will be in touch with you soon.