Charges Filed in San Antonio Wrong-Way Collision
The San Antonio Police Department has filed DWI charges against two drivers involved in a wrong-way collision early Thursday morning.
About the San Antonio Head-On Collision
According to KSAT, the crash occurred around 1:30 am on Wurzbach Parkway near Buzzi Way.
Reports say a 29-year-old driver of a 2001 Nissan Altima was driving eastbound in the westbound lanes of Wurzbach when he crashed head-on into a 2021 GMC Terrain. The driver of the Altima became pinned in his vehicle, with his legs trapped under the dashboard, as the driver of the Terrain fled on foot.
The driver of the Terrain was located by officers. He was found to be in possession of marijuana, had an out-of-county warrant for his arrest, and was determined to be intoxicated. His charges so far include DWI, failure to stop and render aid, and possession in addition to the existing charges associated with his warrant.
The driver of the Altima was transported to Brooke Amy Medical Center where he was listed in stable condition. He will face a charge of DWI.
The identities of the two drivers have not been released, and the accident remains under investigation.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Drunk Driving Accident? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you have been injured in a drunk driving crash, call Thomas J. Henry Law to speak with a dedicated auto accident attorney in San Antonio. We have represented clients across Texas and throughout the U.S. for more than 25 years and have the resources and experience needed to handle your claim effectively.
Our DUI car accident lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for a FREE case consultation.