Driver Arrested in Deadly Multi-Vehicle Austin Crash
Austin police arrested a woman accused of causing a fatal multi-vehicle collision in northeast Austin Monday afternoon. They suspect the woman was impaired at the time of the crash.
About the Fatal Austin Collision
KXAN reports the crash occurred around 1:50 pm Monday in the 12200 block of Dessau Road.
Officers arrived to find five vehicles were involved in the crash. They included a Toyota Corolla, an Infiniti, a Dodge Ram, and Audi, and a Capital Metro bus. Police concluded the driver of the Toyota, 36-year-old Octavia Antoinette Scales, was responsible for the crash.
A preliminary investigation suggests Scales was traveling at a high rate of speed before crashing into three vehicles. Scales’ vehicle then hit the bus which then collided with the Audi.
A passenger in Scales’ vehicle, 46-year-old Latesha D. Washington, was pulled from the wreckage by the Austin Fire Department and Austin-Travis County EMS crews. She was rushed to the hospital where she later died.
Police noted Scales was disoriented and decided to conduct field sobriety tests. Officers said Scales had bloodshot, glassy eyes, wobbly balance, body tremors, memory loss, and confused speech. Scales told police she had been smoking marijuana and had taken blood pressure medication, a muscle relaxer, and a nerve blocker.
Scales reportedly attempted to blame Washington for the crash before admitting to using marijuana. Scales has multiple arrests and convictions for drug offenses and driving while intoxicated.
Texas Car Accident Statistics 2018
Information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- There were 12,161 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2018 with 14,908 people sustaining a serious injury.
- There were 701 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 548 people killed in head-on crashes in 2018.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2018.
- There were 940 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 26% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash? Our experienced Austin car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real results for clients suffering from serious and debilitating car accident injuries and was selected as one of the 2021’s Best Car Accident Lawyers in Austin by Expertise.
Let our Austin car accident attorneys navigate the legal process and deal with the insurance companies so you can focus on getting better. Call today to speak with an attorney or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address:4401 West Gate Blvd Suite 200, Austin, TX 78745 (walk-in Monday through Friday)