A driver is in critical condition after colliding head-on with another vehicle as he attempted to evade San Antonio police.
Details of the San Antonio Wrong-Way Crash
According to KENS 5, the collision occurred around 3:00 a.m. Saturday near the intersection of Wurzbach Parkway and Wetmore Road.
Police observed the driver traveling eastbound in the westbound lanes of Wurzbach and attempted to make a stop. The driver disregarded police and crashed into another vehicle at the intersection.
The wrong-way driver was extricated from the vehicle and rushed to a local hospital. Police later found that the vehicle was stolen.
The driver of the other vehicle is reported to be in stable condition.
The wrong-way driver was charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Further charges may be added.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and take appropriate evasive action.
- Remove your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn to catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head-on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Speak with an Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a crash involving a wrong-way driver, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance. Our law firm is known throughout Texas and across the United States as a firm that gets results. We pursue maximum compensation for every client and believe in holding those responsible for your injuries liable for their actions.
Do not wait, our San Antonio car accident lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for your FREE case consultation.