Authorities have identified the victims of two deadly drunk driving accidents that occurred in Southeast San Antonio, Texas on Christmas Eve. One man was responsible for both collisions.
About the Southeast Loop 410 Incidents
MySA News reports 23-year-old David Alaquinez was identified by the Bexar County Medical Examiner Office in San Antonio as the victim of a tragic DWI accident that occurred on December 24.
Reports indicate Alaquinez was killed while trying to evade a drunk driver that was traveling in the wrong direction on the 10500 block of Southeast Loop 410. As he attempted to avoid the oncoming vehicle, Alaquinez collided with an 18-wheeler and was killed.
The drunk driver identified as Alejandro Montoya Rodriguez, 33, was also determined to be responsible for another death along Southeast Loop 410 which occurred mere minutes later. Police say 33-year-old Jay Simon Mejia was the victim of that accident.
Rodriguez was transported to University Hospital after all the chaos for treatment. He currently holds a $200,000 bond and is in an unknown state at the hospital.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Crash? Contact an Experienced San Antonio Auto Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? Our San Antonio auto accident lawyers are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in San Antonio, Texas.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249