Drunk Driver Pleads Guilty to Fatal Houston Crash
A woman has pleaded guilty to DWI for a fatal crash that killed a grandfather who was driving with his three grandchildren.
Details of the Fatal Houston Drunk Driving Crash
According to ABC 13, 51-year-old Cathy Ann Gilley was drinking while driving a Ford F-150 truck when she slammed into a vehicle carrying a 75-year-old man and his three grandchildren. The crash occurred around 2:00 am on August 5, 2021, near the intersection of US-59 inbound and Greens Road.
The 75-year-old driver was pronounced dead at the scene. His three grandchildren, ages 8, 12, and 14, were injured.
Cathy Ann Gilley pleaded guilty to DWI of the 3rd degree on Friday. She is sentenced to six years in jail.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Speak with a Houston Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one is injured in a drunk driving crash, it is essential that you speak with an experienced attorney as soon as you are able. Drunk driving crashes are serious matters, often resulting in significant injuries. Beginning your case as soon as possible helps preserve evidence, putting you in the best position to recover maximum compensation for your injuries.
Thomas J. Henry Law has represented victims of drunk drivers for more than 25 years. Call now to speak with a Houston drunk driving accident attorney about your case today.