Several lanes of Interstate 35E were closed Tuesday morning after an 18-wheeler crashed and caught on fire in Lewisville, outside of Dallas.
Details of the Fiery Lewisville Crash
According to NBC-DFW, the crash occurred shortly before 5:00 am in the southbound lanes of Interstate 35E at the exit for Texas 121.
Reports from the Lewisville Fire Department suggest the 18-wheeler crashed into a barrier wall which caused the axles to sheer of the truck and its trailer. Debris was spread across all the lanes of the highway and the exit ramp.
The tractor-trailer then caught fire and spilled fuel onto the roadway.
Lanes were closed for several others while crews cleared the scene. The condition of the driver was not immediately available.
Texas 18-Wheeler Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 4,951 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in the United States in 2018, marking a 1-percent increase from 2017.
- Of those killed in traffic accidents involving large trucks:
- 71 percent were occupants of passenger vehicles
- 18 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 11 percent were pedestrians or bicyclists
- 77 percent of fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred on weekdays
- An additional 151,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2018, marking a 2-percent increase over 2017.
- Texas led the country in trucking accident deaths with 664 fatalities recorded. Texas was followed by California with 352 deaths and Florida with 321 deaths.
Contact an Experienced 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer in Dallas
If you or a loved one have been involved in an 18-wheeler accident in or near Dallas, do not risk your claim to compensation. Thomas J. Henry Law has experienced injury attorneys in Dallas ready to assist you 24/7, nights and weekends.
Contact us today for a FREE case consultation with a licensed 18-wheeler accident attorney in Dallas. Attorneys are standing by.