Man Charged for Intoxication Manslaughter While Driving with 6-Year-Old
33-year-old Jacob Perez has been arrested in New Braunfels for causing deadly crash while under the influence.
About the New Braunfels Intoxication Manslaughter Incident
According to NEWS 4 SA, Perez’s 6-year-old daughter was present in the vehicle when Perez crashed into a blue Kia Optima vehicle decimated in a collision wreck around 2:15 am Sunday.
The crash occurred on Highway 65 South at Center Street near the 2500 block. Preliminary investigations suggest Perez, while traveling northbound on the highway, crossed into the southern lanes. Following the initial impact, Perez’s vehicle flipped over with his child inside. Fortunately, the child only sustained very minor scrapes.
A passenger of the Kia Optima, 28-year-old Sevannah Shay Mata, died at the scene. The driver was sent to San Antonio Military Medical Center for critical injury treatment.
Perez has since been arrested for intoxication manslaughter.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry to speak with an auto accident attorney in San Antonio. Our attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
In the event that a loved one has been killed in an accident, Thomas J. Henry Law will make sure you claim is handled by one of our Texas wrongful death attorneys. Our wrongful death lawyers have the expertise necessary to prove your claim to compensation and help you family prepare for the expenses and damages caused by the sudden loss of a loved one.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.