A suspected drunk driver faces two counts of intoxication manslaughter following an early morning collision near the intersection of Interstate 35 and Walzem Road.
Details of the Fatal San Antonio Crash
KSAT reports two women in their early 20s died and a man was hospitalized following a suspected drunk driving crash that occurred around 2:45 am Saturday.
Police had dispatched a helicopter after receiving multiple calls concerning a Ford F-350 dually traveling the wrong direction on southbound I-35. Once the truck was tracked down, officers on the ground attempted to stop the vehicle which was traveling in excess of 90 miles per hour.
The F350 then slammed into a Nissan Rogue between Eisenhauer Road and Walzem Road. Officers found the truck overturn and on fire. The driver was pulled from the F-350, but the two occupants of the Rogue were pronounced dead at the scene.
One of the deceased victims has been identified as 25-year-old Daniela Lute. The identity of the other victim, a 27-year-old woman, has not been released.
The driver of the F-350, a 35-year-old man, faces two counts of intoxication manslaughter.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Crash? Contact an Experienced San Antonio Auto Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? Our San Antonio auto accident lawyers are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in San Antonio, Texas.
Remember, you do not have to face your accident and injuries alone. We are here to help you during your time of need. This includes help with medical appointments, transportation, and cash advancements on qualified cases. Let our attorneys deal with the insurers and your claim so you can focus on what’s really important: getting better.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249