San Antonio Office Struck by Vehicle, Critically Injured While Responding to Traffic Accident
A police officer was listed in critical condition after being struck by a car as he was working a traffic accident on San Antonio North Side.
Icy Roads Blamed for Accident that Left San Antonio Officer Injured
According to KTSA News, officer Travis Gossett was investigating a crash on NB 281 at Brook Hollow at around 2:20 am Sunday when he was struck by a vehicle passing near the original accident scene. Gossett was outside of his cruiser in a reflective vest with his vehicle’s emergency lights were activated when he was hit.
Gossett was rushed to University Hospital where he was listed in critical condition.
The driver who struck Gossett was evaluated for DWI and was determined not to be impaired; however, the driver was cited for not having insurance and driving with an invalid license.
Police believe winter weather and icy roads were a factor in the accident. Gossett has worked with SAPD for two years.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Crash? Contact an Experienced San Antonio Auto Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? Our San Antonio auto accident lawyers are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in San Antonio, Texas.
Remember, you do not have to face your accident and injuries alone. We are here to help you during your time of need. This includes help with medical appointments, transportation, and cash advancements on qualified cases. Let our attorneys deal with the insurers and your claim so you can focus on what’s really important: getting better.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249