South Austin Flyover Crash: Serious Injuries Reported
A Friday, December 15th, vehicle collision in Austin, Texas, has left two people injured and hospitalized.
According to CBS Austin, two people were transported to the hospital following a car accident on the I-35 flyover in South Austin early Friday morning.
Austin-Travis County EMS responded to the scene shortly after 3:30 am. The crash occurred in the southbound lane heading westbound toward Ben White Boulevard. Firefighters assisted in extricating a trapped victim.
Both patients were transported to St. David’s South Austin Medical Center. One sustained serious, potentially life-threatening injuries, while the other had non-life-threatening injuries.
The ramp was closed while crews cleared the scene but has since reopened. Drivers were advised to seek alternate routes during the closure.
No further details about the cause of the crash or the identities of the victims are available at this time.
8 Essential Tips to Help Avoid Vehicle Collisions in Austin, Texas
1. Mind the Merge: Austin’s highways can get congested, especially during rush hour. Merging smoothly and predictably is key. Use turn signals clearly, avoid last-minute lane changes, and maintain a safe following distance.
2. Tame the Speed: While Austinites love their open roads, exceeding the speed limit is never a good idea. Adjust your speed for weather conditions, traffic flow, and construction zones. Remember, a few extra minutes are better than a potential accident.
3. Phone Down, Eyes Up: Distracted driving is a major hazard. Put your phone away while driving, and avoid fiddling with the radio or eating. Focus on the road and anticipate the actions of other drivers
4. Be Weather Wise: Austin’s weather can change quickly. Rain slicks roads, hail can damage windshields, and fog reduces visibility. Adapt your speed, use headlights appropriately, and maintain adequate following distances in bad weather
5.Construction Cautions: Cones and detours are par for the course in Austin. Pay attention to signage, slow down in construction zones, and be prepared for unexpected lane changes.
6. Don’t Drive Drowsy: A tired driver is an impaired driver. Get enough sleep before hitting the road, and if you start feeling drowsy, pull over and take a break.
7. Practice Defensive Driving: Assume other drivers might make mistakes. Be alert, anticipate their actions, and leave plenty of space between you and the car ahead.
8. Buckle Up and Stay Sober: Always wear your seatbelt, and never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Your safety and the safety of others is paramount.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash? Our experienced Austin car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real results for clients suffering from serious and debilitating car accident injuries and was selected as one of the 2021’s Best Car Accident Lawyers in Austin by Expertise.
Let our attorneys navigate the legal process and deal with the insurance companies so you can focus on getting better. Call today to speak with an attorney or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 4401 West Gate Blvd Suite 200, Austin, TX 78745 (walk-in Monday through Friday)