Teen Dies after San Antonio Auto Accident
About the San Antonio Auto Accident
Montoya was riding in the back of a Chevrolet Impala when it rear ended a Mercedes-Benz SUV that had come to a complete stop on the interstate due to heavy traffic. A third vehicle, a Honda Pilot, then hit the Impala.
Medics noted that Montoya, who had suffered serious head injuries, was unresponsive upon their arrival; she was taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center where she was listed in critical condition.
The Lehman High School junior died of her injuries on Friday.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation recorded 3,399 traffic fatalities in 2012 – a 10.82 percent increase from 2011.
- In addition to the fatalities, another 230,506 people were injured with 87,087 people suffering a serious injury.
- Using available data, the Texas Department of Transportation was able to estimate that:
- One person was killed in an auto accident every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 second.
- A reportable crash occurred every 75 seconds.