Three Injured, One Critically After Stolen Truck Slams into Car in Austin
One person is in critical condition and two others suffered serious injuries following a two-vehicle crash involving a stolen pickup in Austin, Texas. Police were in pursuit of the stolen vehicle prior to the crash.
Police Called Off Chase Just Before Collision
According to KXAN, the events leading to the fatal crash began Tuesday morning around 12:30 am.
Police initiated a pursuit of a suspected stolen vehicle after running the pickup’s license plate. Police say the person was driving recklessly in the downtown area near Sixth Street and Red River, triggering suspicion.
Police attempted to stop the vehicle but ended pursuit after reaching Riverside Drive and Montopolis Drive when they determined the chase could be potentially dangerous to other drivers. Roughly ten minutes later, police responded to a crash near the airport on Cardinal Loop and State Highway 71 where the pickup had struck another vehicle.
One person was transported to the hospital with critical, life-threatening injuries. Two others were hospitalized in serious condition.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Car Accident Statistics for 2019
The information below was taken from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).
- The Fatality Rate on Texas roadways for 2019 was 1.26 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled. This is a 2.33% decrease from 2018.
- There were 12,897 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2019 with 15,843 people sustaining a serious injury.
- The annual vehicle miles traveled in Texas during 2019 reached 286.268 billion, an increase of 1.5% over the 282.037 billion traveled in 2018.
- Fatalities in traffic crashes in rural areas of the state accounted for 51.69% of the state’s traffic fatalities. There were 1,866 deaths in rural traffic crashes.
- Single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,161 deaths in 2019. This was 32.16% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2019.
- In 2019 there were 731 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 600 people killed in head-on crashes in 2019.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2019.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Injury Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash in Austin? Contact an experienced Austin car accident lawyer. Our attorneys are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free legal consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real results for clients suffering from serious and debilitating injuries. Let our team of attorneys help you navigate the legal process while you focus on healing.
In the event that a loved one has been killed in a car crash, Thomas J. Henry Law will make sure your claim is handled by one of our Texas wrongful death attorneys. Our wrongful death lawyers have the expertise necessary to prove your claim to compensation and help your family prepare for the expenses and damages caused by the sudden loss of a loved one.
Call today to speak with an attorney, or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 5707 Southwest Pkwy, Suite 125 Building 2, Austin, Texas 78735 (walk-in Monday through Friday)