UPDATE: 35 Students Injured in Beaumont ISD School Bus Crash
Updated news reports indicate that a total of 35 elementary school students were injured when a Beaumont ISD school bus was involved in a collision with an 18-wheeler and a pickup truck.
New Details Released in Beaumont ISD School Bus Crash
KXAN reports that 35 fourth-grade students were injured and at least 26 were hospitalized Wednesday afternoon following the crash. One student was airlifted to Houston Memorial Hermann with a head-injury. That student is listed in serious but stable condition.
The crash occurred on U.S. 69 near Lumberton, Texas as the school bus transported 44 Charlton-Pollard Elementary students back to school following a field trip to the Big Thicket National Preserve.
The crash remains under investigation and none of the drivers have been cited in the crash.
School Transportation Accident Statistics
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 1,344 people killed in school-transportation-related crashes recorded between 2004 and 2013. This averages to 134 fatalities per year.
- Of the 1,344 fatalities, only 8 percent were occupants of school transportation vehicles.
- Most (71%) of the people who lost their lives in these crashes were occupants of other vehicles involved in the crashes.
- Nonoccupants, including pedestrians, bicyclists, etc., accounted for 21 percent of the fatalities.
- Among the 106 occupants killed in school transportation vehicles between 2004 and 2013, 45 were drivers and 61 were passengers.