A 69-year-old woman is dead following a wrong-way crash on Highway 281 in San Antonio, Texas.
Details of the Fatal Wrong-Way Crash
According to KSAT, the fatal accident occurred Sunday afternoon after the woman made a U-turn on the highway at Basse Road. The woman traveled southbound in the northbound lanes before crashing head-on into a Toyota Tundra.
The woman was extracted from her vehicle with the jaws of life and rushed to University Hospital. She later died of her injuries. The driver of the Toyota Tundra was taken to University Hospital.
Northbound lanes of Highway 281 were closed for a few hours as crews clear the scene. The accident remains under investigation.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and take appropriate evasive action.
- Removed your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn to catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head-on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Injured in a Crash? Contact an Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? Our San Antonio car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in San Antonio, Texas.
Remember, you do not have to face your accident and injuries alone. We are here to help you during your time of need. This includes help with medical appointments, transportation, and cash advancements on qualified cases. Let our attorneys deal with the insurers and your claim so you can focus on what’s really important: getting better.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249