Crib-Related Child Injuries
HAS YOUR CHILD BEEN INJURED AFTER A FALL FROM A DEFECTIVE CRIB?
More than 9,500 babies and toddlers go to the emergency room each year because of crib, playpen, and bassinet accidents and injuries. This averages to one child every hour. As parents, we hope our child’s sleeping space would be safe; however, due to defects and safety failures, cribs and bassinets can become suffocation and entrapment hazards.
CRIB INJURY STATISTICS
According to WebMD:
- Cribs account for 80% of all crib, playpen, and bassinet injuries. Two-thirds of those injuries occurred when children fell from or jumped out of the crib.
- Another 15% of crib-related injuries were the result of children falling inside the crib or being cut on something inside the crib.
- Caught-in and entrapment resulted in 6% of crib-related injuries.
- Soft-tissue injuries represent about 33% of all reported crib-related injuries, concussions about 20%, fractures 12%, and lacerations make up 14%.
- Two-thirds of crib-related deaths involve babies younger than 6 months.
5 CRIB SAFETY TIPS FOR PARENTS
The following safety tips are provided by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC):
- Set up cribs and play yards properly according to manufacturers’ directions. Only use the mattress pad provided with product; do not add extra padding.
- Make sure there are no gaps larger than two fingers between the sides of the crib or playpen and the mattress.
- Do not use broken cribs, modified cribs, or cribs 10 years or older as infants can strangle to death if their bodies pass through gaps between loose components or broken slats while their heads remain entrapped.
- Never place a crib or playpen near a window with blind, curtain cords or baby monitor cords; babies can strangle on cords.
- To prevent suffocation, never place pillows or thick quilts in a baby’s sleep environment.
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED CHILD INJURY ATTORNEY
At Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury caused by a defective crib, playpen, or bassinet, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you are unable to make it to one of our offices, we will send one of our attorneys to you. Let us help you and your child achieve justice and compensation for injuries caused by a crib manufacturer’s negligence. Call us today for a free legal consultation.
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionNet to Client: $20.1 Million | Expenses: $39,576.15 | Attorney Fees: $10,060,980.00
THOMAS J. HENRY – 2013 TOP BIRTH INJURY ADVOCATESAwarded In 2013 to Thomas J. Henry by Parenting Magazine
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57