18-Wheeler Truck Wreckage on US 59 from Sleeping Driver
The US Highway 59 South faced a major delay Friday morning, December 27, in Diboll, Texas due to a truck crash.
About the 18-Wheeler, Drowsy Driver Incident
According to KTRE, the authorities of Diboll including Sargent Stephanie Davie, cited that the incident happened around 6:45 in the morning. The driver at fault steering the 18-wheeler was headed northbound on the US highway 59 before become overly drowsy and “sleep driving” onto the grass medians of the highway.
Drivers reported as the culprit realized his actions and quickly veered to the right, the truck lost all control and was overturned. The driver, Bruce Jackson, faced critical injuries and was eventually taken to Houston hospital for stronger treatments.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2016:
- 11.5 million large trucks were registered in the United States
- An estimated 433,000 police-reported traffic crashes occurred involving large trucks
- 4,317 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks
- Large trucks accounted for eight percent of all vehicles involved in fatal accidents
- An estimated 116,000 people sustained injuries in crashes involving large trucks
- Of the fatalities that occurred in large truck crashes in 2015, 84 percent were occupants of other vehicles or non-occupants, such as pedestrians or bicyclists
- About one out of every four fatal crashes involving a large truck occurs on an interstate highway
- States with the most fatalities in traffic crashes involving large trucks:
- Texas — 556
- California — 322
- Florida — 293
- Georgia — 179
- Illinois – 146
Injured in a Trucking Accident? Contact Thomas J. Henry
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced commercial trucking injury attorneys are available to respond to semi-truck accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.