Two Texas emergency responders lost their lives to a tragic crash while responding to an emergency call in Lubbock, Texas.
Description of the Critical Responders Incident
On Saturday, January 11, two emergency responders were killed after being hit by an oncoming vehicle during inclement weather. Another responder was injured in the crash.
According to the San Antonio Express-News, the three responders were responding to an emergency call alerting them to the area of a large traffic accident caused by icy roads. Two different accidents had occurred in on Interstate 27 in Lubbock that morning.
While the responders, two firefighters and one police officer, were on the scene, a southbound vehicle crossed over the interstate median and crashed into the responders. The accident resulted in the police officer and one of the firefighters losing their lives.
27-year-old Officer Nicholas Reyna of the Lubbock Police Department died on the scene, and 39-year-old Lieutenant David Hill of the Lubbock Fire Rescue died at a local hospital while being transported. Officials say Hill had just celebrated ten years of service recently.
Only Matthew Dawson, the second firefighter, survived the crash. He was hospitalized in critical condition.
Lubbock police chief Mitchell also stressed how important it is for drivers to slow down in bad weather and respect others on the road in rough conditions.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.