Details of the Fatal Texas Hit-and-Run
According to FOX News, the alleged perpetrator, Paul Joseph Garcia, was charged after hitting a pedestrian with so much force that it sent the mangled body of the pedestrian through the car windshield and into the passenger seat.
Despite having been involved in this fatal pedestrian collision, witnesses state Garcia continued to drive his Ford Focus with the body in the vehicle’s passenger side, ultimately stopping at a nearby beer garden for drinks. People within the beer garden, South Austin Beer Garden, noted that Garcia entered the establishment barefoot and with overly calm mannerisms that raised high attention.
There were visible stains of blood and bodily tissues covering Garcia’s garments.
The victim killed was pushing a shopping cart before being brutally hit. The force of the crash was so great that it sent the cart until mailboxes, striking with such force that it was able to bend a two-inch thick portion of a galvanized steel post.
Authorities have placed Garcia in Travis County Correctional Complex with several charges including intoxication manslaughter and a $110,000 bond.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.