Texas State Troopers are investigating a fatal crash involving an 18-wheeler that occurred on Interstate 45 near Fairfield, Texas.
Details of the Fatal Fairfield 18-Wheeler Accident
According to KWTX, the fatal crash occurred Saturday when a Volvo tractor-trailer lost control on Interstate 45 and crashed into a Ford Explorer. Police say the icy roads played a role in the deadly collision
The driver of the Explorer, identified as 21-year-old Claudio Romero of Ennis, was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the 18-wheeler was not injured.
DPS is asking that drivers take extra precautions and avoid driving at high speed on potentially icy roadways.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2016:
- 11.5 million large trucks were registered in the United States
- An estimated 433,000 police-reported traffic crashes occurred involving large trucks
- 4,317 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks
- Large trucks accounted for eight percent of all vehicles involved in fatal accidents
- An estimated 116,000 people sustained injuries in crashes involving large trucks
- Of the fatalities that occurred in large truck crashes in 2015, 84 percent were occupants of other vehicles or non-occupants, such as pedestrians or bicyclists
- About one out of every four fatal crashes involving a large truck occurs on an interstate highway
- States with the most fatalities in traffic crashes involving large trucks:
- Texas — 556
- California — 322
- Florida — 293
- Georgia — 179
- Illinois – 146
Injured in a Trucking Accident? Contact Thomas J. Henry
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced truck accident injury attorneys are available to respond to semi-truck accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.