Child Killed in Refugio County Crash
About the Fatal Refugio County Collision
According to the Corpus Christi Caller Times, the fatal crash occurred about two miles north of Woodsboro at around 2:45 pm.
Preliminary reports indicate a 1999 Ford F-350 pickup carrying five occupants was traveling north on Highway 77 when the vehicle’s rear right wheel assembly detached from the vehicle. The pickup lost control, crossed into northbound lanes of the highway, then overturned in the center median.
Jonathan Gonzalez-Pena, 10, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash. Three other passengers were flown to Christus Spohn Hospital Shoreline where they were listed in stable condition. The driver was transported to Christus Spohn Hospital Shoreline and was also in stable condition.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Automobile Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Automobile Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an auto accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced auto accident injury attorneys are available to respond to car crashes at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.