The driver involved in a fatal hit-and-run crash on New Year’s Eve was out on bond for his third DWI when the crash occurred.
Driver Flees the Scene of Fatal Dallas Crash
According to FOX 4 News, the crash occurred near Deep Ellum on New Year’s Eve, leaving a ride-share driver dead.
New reports indicate the driver responsible, Matthew Smith, had three previous DWI arrests and was out on bond when he caused a crash that killed 57-year-old Dil Chainy.
Police say Smith was traveling the wrong way on Commerce Street with his lights off leading up to the fatal collision. He then fled the scene.
Two weeks later, Smith was arrested for manslaughter and an accident involving death.
Typically, drivers convicted of DWIs have an interlock device (an in-car breathalyzer) equipped in their vehicle. However, court records show that an interlock device was not ordered in Smith’s vehicle until five days after the fatal crash occurred.
Smith faces up to 50 years in prison.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- 985 people were killed in crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a crash with a drunk driver, call Thomas J. Henry Law immediately. Our law firm has the resources and experience to secure maximum compensation for injured clients. We will take immediate action on your claim and work to ensure you receive the justice you deserve.
Our Dallas car accident attorneys are available 24/7 to assist you. Call now for your FREE case review.