Driver Arrested, Passenger in Critical Condition in South Side San Antonio Crash
One person was hospitalized in critical condition and another is in police custody following a car crash on San Antonio’s South Side.
Details of the San Antonio Car Accident
According to KSAT, the crash occurred around 11 pm in the 2900 block of Shane Road near Loop 410 and Southton Road.
Two men were traveling in a Chevrolet that was speeding southbound on Villamin Road towards Shane Road at a high rate of speed when the driver lost control of the vehicle at a curve and struck a tree. Both were pinned in the vehicle and had to be extricated from the vehicle.
The passenger, 19, was transported to Brooke Army Medical Center with life-threatening injuries where he was listed in critical condition. The driver was found to be intoxicated and arrested on a charge of intoxication assault.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Drunk Driving Accident? Call an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one was injured in a drunk driving accident in or near San Antonio, contact Thomas J. Henry now. Our experienced injury attorneys can take immediate action on your case, securing valuable evidence that can help prove your injuries and damages.
Our San Antonio drunk driving attorneys are available 24/7 nights and weekends to assist you. Call now for your FREE case consultation.