Driver Charged with Intoxication Manslaughter in San Antonio Pedestrian Death
San Antonio police have arrested a suspected drunk driver for a fatal crash that killed an elderly pedestrian Wednesday morning.
Woman Was Walking on Sidewalk When She Was Struck by Drunk Driver
News 4 San Antonio reports the crash occurred around 10:30 am near the intersection of Oak Hill Road near Viva Max Drive.
Police say a woman in her 70s was walking on the sidewalk when she was struck by a Ford Edge that had lost control on Oak Hill Road. After hitting the woman, the car smashed into a tree.
The female pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver, a 59-year-old woman, was taken to the hospital. She was determined to be intoxicated and charged with Intoxication Manslaughter.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured by a drunk driver, call Thomas J. Henry Law.
For nearly 30 years, Thomas J. Henry Law has fought to ensure drunk drivers are held responsible for their actions. We have helped countless drunk driving victims secure compensation for their injuries, damages, and suffering.