Driver Killed When 18-Wheeler Overturns Near Waco
A truck driver has passed away in an early-morning accident outside of Waco, Texas.
About the 18-Wheeler Accident
According to kwtx.com, the driver of an 18-wheeler died at the scene of an accident early on February 14.
Authorities believe the driver may have been asleep at the wheel when the truck, which was driving outside of Robinson, Texas, veered off the road and overturned.
This incident comes hours after another crash, also involving multiple 18-wheeler trucks, caused a death and two injuries.
Trucking Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2016:
- 11.5 million large trucks were registered in the United States
- An estimated 433,000 police-reported traffic crashes occurred involving large trucks
- 4,317 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks
- Large trucks accounted for eight percent of all vehicles involved in fatal accidents
- An estimated 116,000 people sustained injuries in crashes involving large trucks
- Of the fatalities that occurred in large truck crashes in 2015, 84 percent were occupants of other vehicles or non-occupants, such as pedestrians or bicyclists
- About one out of every four fatal crashes involving a large truck occurs on an interstate highway
- States with the most fatalities in traffic crashes involving large trucks:
- Texas — 556
- California — 322
- Florida — 293
- Georgia — 179
- Illinois – 146
Vehicle Safety Tips
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has several recommendations for staying safe when driving, including:
- Taking breaks to stretch and eat healthy meals
- Setting aside time to rest during longer drives
- Never drinking and driving
- Avoiding distraction and being mindful of motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians
- Checking for vehicle recalls
- Changing lanes to give space to any law enforcement officers
Injured in a Truck Accident? Contact Thomas J. Henry
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced commercial trucking injury attorneys are available to respond to semi-truck accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.