A Bexar County sheriff’s deputy was hospitalized Saturday night after his patrol car was struck by an intoxicated driver.
Details of the San Antonio Drunk Driving Accident
According to KSAT, the accident occurred Saturday night as the deputy was assisting a driver who had been injured in a single-vehicle accident. The patrol car was parked on the side of the roadway when the crash happened.
Preliminary reports say Deputy Fernando Luna had just gotten back into his patrol vehicle when it was rear-ended by 31-year-old Anthony Frias.
Fortunately, Deputy Luna’s injuries are not considered life-threatening, and he expected to recover soon. Frias was charged with DWI with a bond set at $1,000. His charges may be updated pending additional investigation.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Crash? Contact an Experienced San Antonio Auto Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? Our San Antonio auto accident lawyers are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in San Antonio, Texas.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249